- The Open Elections/Open Government Initiative (Proposition 121) will do away with the partisan August Primary elections in Arizona in which only a limited number of voters now participate and are only permitted to cast ballots for the partisan candidates from one party.
- In its place there will be an open election open to ALL voters and ALL candidates, regardless of party registration.
- The party registration of each candidate will be noted on the ballot, if candidates choose to list it.
- The top two candidates from that election—again, regardless of political party—will then face off in the November election, where the voters are given a real choice.
- No longer will a Primary election exist in which Democrats are limited to just choosing among Democrat candidates and Republican voters cast ballots just for Republican candidates, while Independent voters are largely left out altogether.
- ALL voters, regardless of their political party, will be free to cast their ballot for the candidate of their choice in the August Election regardless of the candidate’s political party.
Partisan candidates seeking the nominations of their party often simply address the issues of a narrow group of voters who vote in a Primary Election. Under Open Elections/Open Government(Proposition 121), all candidates, regardless of their political party, will compete against each other in the open primary. That includes all candidates for local, state, and Federal office – except for President and Vice President. As a result, candidates will be forced to address issues of importance to ALL of us – Independents, Democrats, and Republicans alike. The Results:
- EVERY voter will be permitted to vote in EVERY election.
- Voters will have real choices, with candidates who better represent all the people of Arizona rather than just the political parties, extreme views of narrow interests, and the lobbyists.
- More open-minded candidates guided by common sense, instead of extreme ideology from either side of the political spectrum, to run for office.
- More Independent-minded candidates accountable to the voters, and not the political bosses.